- David K. Hendrickson
- R. Scott Long
- Barbara Allen-Samples
- Eric R. Arnold
- Gene Bailey
- Mark W. Browning
- Guy R. Bucci
- John K. Cecil
- Carl L. Fletcher, Jr.
- Jeffry H. Hall
- Andrew W. Holbrook
- Ashley N. Lynch
- David F. Nelson
- Stephanie H. Ojeda
- Raj A. Shah
- H. Jerome Sparks
- John H. Tinney, Jr.
Mark W. Browning | H and L
214 Capitol St.
Charleston, WV 25301
Tel: (304) 414-4352
Direct: (304) 414-4352
Fax: (304) 346-5515
Mr. Browning’s practice has focused on general insurance defense matters in products liability, complex and mass tort litigation, environmental law, medical and professional malpractice, and sexual harassment. He has over 30 years of experience handling cases on behalf of corporations and individuals at both the trial and appellate levels.
A native of Dayton, Ohio, Mr. Browning received his Bachelor of Arts degree in political science with high distinction from the University of Kentucky in 1980, and his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Kentucky College of Law in 1984. He was admitted into Phi Beta Kappa in 1979, and received the Amry S. Vandenbosch Award, which is given to the outstanding graduating senior in political science at the University of Kentucky. Mr. Browning has also completed 18 hours toward a Master’s Degree in Diplomacy and International Commerce from the Patterson School of Diplomacy at the University of Kentucky.
Mr. Browning has been active in the community and on behalf of the bar. From 1995 to 1996, he served as the President of the Kanawha Bar Association. He has served on various standing and special committees of the West Virginia State Bar, including a select committee on lawyer civility established by the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia. Mr. Browning was a member of the Board of Governors of the Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia from 1996-2006, and was the State Representative for West Virginia to the Defense Research Institute (DRI) from 2000-2004.
In his spare time, Mr. Browning is an avid reader of books focusing on American history, and participates in the annual meetings of the Theodore Roosevelt Association and the Winston Churchill Centre.
- West Virginia, 1985
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia, 1985
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia, 1985
- Kentucky, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- Texas, 2005
- J.D., University of Kentucky College of Law
- B.A., University of Kentucky
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: With High Distinction
- Honors: Amry S. Vandenbosch Award – Outstanding Senior In Political Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (State DRI Representative, 2000-2004)
- Kanawha County Bar Association (President,1995-1996)
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia (Board of Governors, 1996-2006)
- Kentucky Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Christ United Methodist Church, Charleston, WV
- Masonic Lodge Kanawha No. 20 A.F. & A. M.
- State Bar of Texas
- Herbalife International, Inc. v. St. Paul Fire and Marine Ins. Co., WL 839515 (N.D.W.V. 2006)
- Pipemasters Inc. v. Putnam County Commission, 625 S.E.2d 274 (W.V. 2005)
- Keltner v. Shaver, 29 Fed. Appx. 177 (4th Circuit 2002)
- In re Mountain Laurel Resources Co. v. Wolfe, 258 B.R. 652 (S.D.W.V. 2001)
- Love v. Georgia Pacific Corp., 550 S.E.2d 51 (W.V. 2001)
- Knapp v. Yamaha Motor Corp. USA, 60 F.Supp.2d 566 (S.D.W.V. 1999)
- Adkins v. K-Mart Corp., 511 S.E.2d. 840 (W.V. 1998)
- Kelly v. Painter, 504 S.E.2d 171 (WV 1998)
- Rader v. Kroger Co., 976 F. Supp. 414 (S.D.W.Va. 1997)
- Carney v. K-Mart Corp., 176 F.R.D. 227 (S.D.W.V. 1997)
- Cardinal Casualty Co. v. S.E.C.U.R.E., 842 F.Supp. 899 (S.D.W.V. 1994)
- Cannelton Industries, Inc. v. Aetna Casualty & Surety Co., 460 S.E.2d 1 (WV 1994)
- Robinson v. Continental Casualty Co., 406 S.E.2d 470 (WV 1991)
- Fleming v. Yamaha Motor Corp., 774 F.Supp. 992 (W.D.Va. 1991)
- Hall v. Zambelli, 675 F.Supp. 1023 (S.E.W.V. 1988)
- Hall v. Zambelli, 669 F.Supp. 753 (S.D.W.V. 1987)